Loading...
2019-20_Grant Guidelines_Major Project Grant_Updated October 2018MAJOR PROJECT GRANT GUIDELINES (Updated October 2018) The purpose of the Major Project Grant is to provide financial assistance to community organizations that are undertaking a major community capital project. These projects may include the construction of a new facility, expansion of an existing facility or purchase of large capital items. Eligible Applicants - You must be a non-profit organization, or otherwise comply with the requirements of the Municipal Government Act, for eligibility for a grant or contribution by a municipality (Section 65(AU)). - Your primary purpose must be to operate, sponsor or encourage programs, activities or facilities within the Municipality of the District of Chester. - Churches / faith-based organizations are not eligible for funding. - Private member-based organizations, whose primary focus is to serve its members, are not eligible for funding. Council may make exceptions on occasion where programs or initiatives are open to the general public. Eligible Projects - Projects must be capital in nature such as new building construction, expansion of existing buildings or renovations. - Facility renovations or upgrades must enhance your service. - Regular operating costs, maintenance costs or general repair work is not eligible. - Only expenses incurred after an application is submitted are eligible to be included in the project. Funding - The minimum funding request is $10,000 (Projects valued at $10,000 or less will be considered under the Council Grant program). - The Maximum funding request is $100,000 per application. - Council will fund up to a maximum of 70% of the total project budget. Groups must secure the remaining 30% from other sources. - Organizations are only eligible to receive one major project grant every two years (24 months). - Council will consider multiyear funding requests. - Council will review all applications and determine the funding level for each project. Application Procedure - Applications must be submitted by January 31st. - Organizations must complete the Major Project Grant Application form. - You may attach a separate document if there is insufficient space on the form for your response to each question. - Proposed work must comply with all applicable municipal, provincial and federal regulations and you must own or have a long-term lease with the facility. - The application form must be completed in full and have appropriate signatures. - Completed application forms should be submitted to the Municipality as indicated on the application. - If organizations have questions about the application form or would like to receive assistance to complete the form, please contact the Recreation & Parks Director at 902- 275-3490 or by email at chaughn@chester.ca. - After a project is complete, organizations are required to submit a completed Major Project Grant Report Form to indicate how the funds were spent. Payment Schedule - 75% of the total approved grant will be distributed at the beginning of the project. The remaining 25% will be distributed at the end of the project, once a final report has been submitted. Evaluation Applications will be reviewed and evaluated based on the following: - Grant criteria have been met. - Benefit to the community at large is described. - Demonstrated positive community impact. - The organization has shown a financial need for grant funding. - Project aligns with the Municipal strategic plan. Grant Recognition The Municipality of Chester encourages appropriate recognition as a funding partner of approved projects. Note – The amount of grant funding available varies each year and is limited. Council reserves the right to approve funding amounts lower than requested. Council also reserves the right to reject any grant application, regardless of whether the criteria have been met.